1/1 Photo of Mel's Brown Pizza Sauce
1 hr 30 mins
""I live about 1 hour from my favorite pizza joint so I decided to make my own sauce recipe for the days that I can't have the real thing. (Cause let's face it, NOTHING beats the real thing). After many attempts (10 full batches to be exact) at adjusting my recipe, this is what my taste buds came up with. I hope you will give it a try and enjoy it as much as my family and I do.""
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 onions
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms (optional)
- 3 (900 ml) boxes chicken broth (NOT reduced-sodium)
- 3 (396 ml) cans tomato paste
- 1/4 cup garlic (Fresh or Powdered)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (Fresh or Powdered)
- 1/2 cup dried oregano
- 4 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1Puree veggies in food processor by adding some of the chicken broth.
- 2Bring pureed veggies and remaining broth to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 45 minute.
- 3Add tomato paste and spices then simmer another 45 minutes.
- 4Add flour and oil, whisk until blended.
- 5For a spicier sauce add more pepper ; Sweeter sauce add more sugar.
- 6Freeze the sauce by dividing it into medium freezer bags using 3/4 Cup per bag.
- 7To re-heat frozen sauce, heat in small sauce pan whisking occasionally.
- 8For the ultimate pizza experience use Brothers pepperoni and mozzarellissima pizza cheese -- .
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mel's Brown Pizza Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.1
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2336.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: