Recipe by mollypaul
As famous as the Natchez gardens from whence it comes, this spicy cake smells heavenly when baking. Substitute buttermilk for the soured milk, if desired. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup light molasses or 1 medium molasses
- 1 cup milk, soured with
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 7 x 11 baking pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Combine remaining ingredients, add to dry ingredients and mix well for one minute.
- Pour into pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Let cool slightly; turn out onto platter and dust lightly with confectioners sugar, if desired.