Recipe by Gigi
From a local cookbook, tried and true, many different tastes. A little preparation, but one of my favorite eggplant dishes.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled
- 3⁄4-1 cup canned tomato soup, undiluted
- 4 tablespoons oil (or more as needed eggplant tends to soak it up quickly)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cracker crumb
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped ripe olives
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup grated cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice peeled eggplant in 1/4" thick round slices.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry in oil until lightly browned on both sides.
- Put layer of eggplant in bottom of 2 qt.
- buttered shallow baking dish.
- Cover with layer of chopped onions, bell pepper, olives, and grated cheese, seasoning each layer lightly with salt and pepper.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Spread undiluted tomato soup on top.
- Top with crackers crumbs, and dot with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.