Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 mins
An Asian-inspired salad from Better Homes and Garden Magazine. Perfect summer salad!
Sweet Sesame Dressing
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached white sugar
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger (or freshly grated if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted (sub half of the portion with black sesame seeds for color)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cut up seedless watermelon (read *Note)
- 2 cups cut up cantaloupe
- 2 cups cut up honeydews
- 1 cup sliced English cucumber (if available try 1/2 cup each of English cucumber and lemon cucumber)
- lettuce leaf
- snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- crisp cooked bacon, drained and crumbled (optional)
- *Note: if you can find yellow watermelon, substitute half yellow for red watermelon.
- In small saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, salt, and ginger. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- Place dressing in a medium bowl. Slowly add both oils to sugar mixture in a thin steady stream, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Stir in sesame seeds, sesame oil, and cayenne pepper; set aside.
- In large bowl combine melon and cucumber. Add 1/2 cup of the dressing; toss to coat.
- Line salad bowls or a platter with lettuce; top with melon mixture. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro and bacon.
- Pass remaining dressing.
WOW did I love this! I subbed out Splenda for the sugar and halved the amount of oil (next time I will use even less oil). I didn't have any honeydew, but it was fabulous even without. Thanks so much for sharing this tasty lunch! Made for Veg*n Swap July 2010.
Woohoo! Everyone had their own favorite melon so there was no arguing! Even the picky eaters loved this! There was no cayenne (at mom's) so I used some white ground pepper. I LOVED the ginger flavor & next time will use fresh ginger. This is a wonderful salad! I think black sesame seeds would look much nicer. ;) Made for ZWT9, Mike & the Appliance Killers.
Yum!!!! This was delicious with what I had. I used organic cane sugar, white vinegar, sea salt, to taste, powdered ginger, light tasting extra virgin olive oil, no vegetable oil, I had no sesame seeds but they would be good I think, unrefined sesame oil (not toasted, sorry), the melons just not honeydew as I was using what I had on hand, and organic baby spring mix leaves. Taste wise it's a make again. Made for January 2013's Casual Veggie Tag (come join us everyone!)