Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Vegetarian Times June 2004.
- 2 cups thinly sliced cantaloupe
- 2 cups thinly sliced honeydew melon
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum or 1 tablespoon rum flavoring
- 8 lettuce leaves
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint (to garnish)
- Slice melons by carefully cutting off rinds, leaving melons whole. Cut 1/4-inch-thick slices from one side until nearly at seed cavity.
- Repeat with remaining 3 sides. Stack slices, trim to 2-inch lengths, cut 1/4-inch wide, measure in cup and put in a bowl.
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, for about 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, and remove from heat. When syrup is completely cool, add lemon zest and rum.
- Marinate sliced melons in cool syrup for 30 minutes or more before serving.
- Toss gently, arrange melon slices on lettuce leaf and garnish with mint sprigs.