Recipe by Pinay0618
Pureed cantaloupe is added to the batter for this cake. Recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens.
- 6 egg whites
- 4 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup cubed cantaloupe
- 3⁄4 cup sparkling white wine or 3⁄4 cup sparkling white grape juice
- 8 cups cantaloupe, honeydew, and or watermelon balls
- 1 2⁄3 cups cake flour
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- powdered sugar (optional)
- fresh sage leaf (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen light whipped dessert topping, thawed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Allow egg whites and yolks to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a blender, combine the 3/4 cup cantaloupe and 2 tablespoons of the sparkling wine. Cover and blend until smooth. Set aside. Grease and lightly flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining sparkling wine and the 8 cups cantaloupe. Toss gently to coat. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, and allspice. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add egg yolks, pureed cantaloupe mixture, and oil to flour mixture. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on high speed about 5 minutes more or until batter is very smooth. Wash beaters thoroughly with soap and warm water; dry beaters. In a very large bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Pour egg yolk mixture in a thin stream over beaten egg whites, folding gently as you pour. Pour into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden brown and springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake in pan; cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove cake. Place cake on a serving plate. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with fresh sage. Serve cake with chilled cantaloupe mixture and, if desired, dessert topping.