This looked too good not to post. Be all the rage while drinking the latest Asian trend in teas! How silly, huh? Drink it because it's GOOD! *Large, specialty tapioca pearls specifically designed for bubble teas are available in Asian markets and gourmet food stores. If using straws, make sure they have a large diameter.
- Combine green tea with sugar and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to boil over high heat; add tapioca pearls. Stir lightly and let pearls float to top. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let pearls sit in water 25 minutes until chewy and translucent.
- Drain and rinse under cold water. Combine in medium bowl with sweetened tea. Refrigerate until needed.
- Blending in 2 batches, combine melon, ice cubes, orange juice and coconut milk in blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Place about 1/4 cup tapioca mixture in bottom of large glass. Fill with melon mixture. Serve with straws if desired.
Hmmm, I've been trying to figure out just how to rate this recipe. I found it long ago and saved and just kept forgetting to make it once I found the peral tapioca. I feel this is one of those recipes that you really have to work with for personal taste. For me it needed a lot more tang; maybe using honey instead of sugar, and lemonade instead of orange juice for tartness. That said, it sure looked pretty in the glass and think I'll tinker with this very unsual drink - I liked the chewiness of the tapioca and used cantalope for the melon, but need to increase the tang for my personal taste.
Fantastic drink!! Fruity and tangy.
This would be very good, but my tapioca hardened back up again after I boiled it. I think it needs more boil time. I will have to experiment more.