Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Dress up melon balls with a flavored syrup. Requires 3 to 5 hours of chilling.
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup light rum
- 2 quarts of assorted melon balls
- fresh mint leaves (to garnish)
- In a small saucepan, mix the sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the grated lime peel and cool the mixture.
- Add the rum and lime juice.
- Pour syrup over the melon balls.
- Chill covered, for 3 to 5 hours.
This was very light and refreshing. The flavoured syrup was divine. I used honeydew and rockmelon balls and removed from the syrup after chilling to serve in a glass that had been dipped in egg white and sugar. Delicious
This is a very easy, light and refreshing dessert. With the exception of extra lime zest I made it as posted with watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. I served it in martini glasses and it looked fabulous. Also, the directions don't tell how many minutes to simmer the syrup so I let it simmer for 5 minutes.