24 hrs 40 mins
24 hrs 35 mins
V'nut-Beyond Redemption's Note:
Melomakarona are made by all Greek families in the week preceding Christmas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 ml olive oil
- 80 g sugar
- 4 tablespoons brandy
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 400 g self-raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1Beat the oil and sugar well, add the brandy, orange juice and cinnamon and blend.
- 2Sift the flour with a pinch of salt and the soda and add it gradually into the oil and sugar mixture, mixing it with a spoon.
- 3Knead the dough well for about 10 minutes.
- 4If too sticky, add 1-2 tablespoons more flour and mix it well.
- 5Knead until it feels soft and pliable.
- 6Flour your hands and take egg-sized portions of dough.
- 7Roll and shape them into small oval shapes.
- 8Place on an unbuttcred baking sheet, and flatten them with the paim of your hand.
- 9Bake in a pre-heated oven, gas no.
- 104/ 350 grades F/ 180 grades C, for 25 minutes.
- 11Let them cool and harden for 24 hours before dipping them in the honey syrup.
- 12Prepare the syrup by mixing in a saucepan the honey, sugar and water.
- 13Bring slowly to the boil, skim with a spoon, then simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- 14Dip the cold melomakarona in the hot syrup, three or four at a time only.
- 15Let them stand for 1 minute and take them out with a slotted spoon.
- 16Place on a decorative platter and immediately sprinkle with a little cinnamon and chopped walnuts.
- 17If they are not consumed during the next 3-4 days they should be kept in airright tins, like biscuits.
- 18Allow two melomakarona per person.
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melomakarona
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.6
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 490.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 40.9 g
- Protein 5.6 g