Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I made this recipe for our Family Reunion this past July. Everyone was asking for the recipe and it was gone before we even finished lunch.
- 1⁄2 lb margarine (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 (12 ounce) cans cherry pie filling
- 1 (4 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, cherries- (optional)
- Combine both sticks of soft margarine and 1 cup of sugar. Blend well with a fork. Do not use melted butter. The cake mixture will not bake correctly.
- Add 2 eggs and beat well.
- Add 2 cups flour and 1 tsp of vanilla and stir until blended.
- Place three-quarters of the batter into a well-greased and floured 13”x 9” pan.
- You will have to spread the mixture with a floured hand or wet spoon if it's too sticky to work with.
- Spread both cans of cherry pie filling on top of batter.
- Drop remaining batter over filling in dabs. Sprinkle either walnuts or pecans over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until batter is done. I had to bake mine the first time about 20 minutes longer.
- After they are cooled, you can cut them into any size squares and top each one with a maraschino cherry.