A while back I cooked my way through Mexican cookbooks and my favorites were always Rick Bayless. I discovered salsas using dried chiles through his cookbooks and found the taste and aroma to be much more complex and intense than fresh salsas. Although I love fresh salsas too, if I had the choice, I would choose salsas made from dried chiles. This one uses dried New Mexico chiles but you can sub Guajillo or pulla.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pull the stems off the chiles and remove seeds completely. Place in a bowl and cover with water completely. You may want to place a small plate to keep the chiles submerged completely. Soak them no longer than 30 minutes.
- 2Heat the broiler and lay the tomatoes on a baking sheet and set as close to the broiler as possible and broil for about 5-6 minutes or until darkly roasted and blackened in spots. Skin will split and curl.
- 3Flip over the tomatoes and broil for another 5-6 minutes or until they are soft with dark spots. Remove and let them cool.
- 4Turn the oven to 425 F degrees and separate the onion into rings. Place onion and garlic on a baking sheet. Stir every few minutes until the onions are soft and roasted and garlic soft and browned in spots, about 15 minutes.
- 5Pull the peels from the cooled tomatoes and cut out the cores where the stems were attached. Make sure you catch all the juices on the baking sheet so it is not wasted.
- 6In a blender or food processor, combine the drained chiles with the tomatoes and their juice and process to fairly smooth puree. Scrape two-thirds of the puree into a bowl.
- 7Roughly chop the onion and garlic and add them to the blender or food processor containing the rest of chile-tomato mixture. Pulse until moderately finely chopped. Combine this with chile-tomato puree in a bowl.
- 8Stir in oregano, vinegar and enough water to give the salsa a light consistency. Taste and season with salt and sugar to your taste.
- 9Use within 5 days or freeze.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mellow Red Chile Salsa With Garlic and Roasted Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (422 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 44.8
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1403.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g