Recipe by Pendiya
Just like you buy from the Christmas Glogg stands in Scandinavia. This is alchoholic but mellow and needs overnight preparation and the beer to soften the alchohol flavour. Well worth the effort but IT MUST BE COLD OUTSIDE! You can make the base flavouring and then store and make in smaller quantities later.
- 3 (9 5/8 ml) bottles dry red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cup vodka
- 1 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 lemon, peel only
- 0.55 lb dried figs
- 15 cardamom seeds, peeled seeds
- 15 cloves
- 3 pieces ginger
- 0.33 lb sugar, to taste
- 3 1⁄4 cup port wine or 3 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- raisins, and almonds to decorate
- 1 5⁄8 cup beer
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 5 cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- 1/2 bottle of red wine, all vodka and brandy and all spices, lemon, figs heated to boil and left overnight. This forms the base.
- Next day, heat and add sugar and further 5 cardamon seeds and 5 cloves.
- Add port or madeira.
- Add raisins and almonds to taste and just before serving , add a stubby of beer.
- Serve hot in glasses with some of the raisins and almonds.