Recipe by MUSEconnie
I developed these burritos for a quick breakfast that tasted like a hostess fruit pie. My hubby makes them and puts them in the toaster oven so when I get up an hour later after he has gone to work, I can just turn it on and toast them up. They never leak if you fold them correctly. He sprays the tortilla with water before assembling but when I do them I just roll them up. They are amazing I promise! *If using Nutrasweet instead of Splenda, be careful not to boil the water with the sweetner in it. heat of that temp will kill the sweetness. The oven does not. I do not recommend Sweet n Low. It is too bitter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 (5/8 ounce) boxany flavor sugar-free red Jell-O
- 1 (29 ounce) can fruit cocktail (do not drain)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 4 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup shiraz wine
Directions See How It's Made
- When water comes to a boil, use a wire whisk to combine the cornstarch thoroughly with the half cup of cold water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the boiling water slowly until it begins to thicken. Cook while stirring for one more minute so it comes to its full ‘bloom’.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Do not return it to the stove for these next steps.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Whisk in one eight serving package of red Jello for two minutes.
- Mix cinnamon with sweetener and add mixture to the pot and whisk for another thirty seconds.
- Pour in the ½ cup of wine and whisk until well blended.
- Dump the fruit cocktail into the pot and mix with a large spoon until well blended.
- Refrigerate in a covered bowl for six hours or over night.
- To assemble burritos:.
- Take a large flour tortilla for each serving.
- Measure about one third to one half cup of the gelatin mixture and place it in the tortilla and roll it up like a regular burrito, with the ends closed well.
- Toast seam side down on rack in a toaster oven on ‘medium toast’ (make sure your burrito is well sealed so it does not leak. put foil on rack underneath just in case it does). For extra flavor, you can spray the top of the burrito with spray margarine if you want.
- Allow burrito to stay in toaster after the signal bell for at least ten minutes. The filling will finish heating and become like-pie filling.
- If it is not brown enough to suit you, heat it on low one more time and remove when desired color/crispness is reached.
- You can do this in your regular oven if you want or if you are doing several burritos but you will have to experiment with your oven to find the right temp and timing for them. I suggest 350°-375°.
- This is so much better than a pop-tart for breakfast and the wine makes the filling taste elegant.
- Amazing Variations:.
- try using canned pineapple chunks or crushed pineapple or diced pears or peaches with orange, lemon or lime Jello. Substitute White Zin for the red wine in the recipe.
- You get the idea. Be creative. Choose juice or water packed fruits instead of syrups for lower calories.
- Extra Special Burritos :).
- Before assembling burritos, spread one tablespoon of low fat cream cheese on the bottom third of the tortilla. Then spread one teaspoon of reduced fat peanut butter on top of the cream cheese. Add Jello mixture as instructed above and roll into burrito. ***The kids will love this low-cal treat for a after school snack.
- ***(There is not enough wine by volume in this recipe to be a problem for serving it to the children, however, you can substitute a half of a cup of water (or try cranberry juice for the red wine or white grape juice for the white wine). Yum!