Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
Melkkos is a staple in South Africa - rich and hot, best enjoyed on a cold winter's night as a dessert or light meal. I used to eat loads of this at an Afrikaans boarding school when I was a kid.
- Sift the flour and salt together and rub in margarine/butter.
- Bring milk to the boil.
- Add flour mixture to milk and beat.
- Lumps will form but keep stirring well!
- When lumpy, cover with lid and simmer for 5- 8 minutes, until cooked.
- Serve hot with cinnamon sugar.
Oh yes, that is the melkkos of my childhood. So yummy. My kids love it. The only negative is that I now have to keep making it!
Comfort food at its best ! Next time, I think I'll try Jacques Oma's recipie and see how that goes !
Used to have this at hostel and have since then been looking for the recipe. I love this recipe and it definately works if you need a filling meal