Recipe by evelyn/athens
so good. Serve with toasted pita crisps.
Top Review by sugarpea
This is excellent! I made it up in the food processor, changing only the amount of olive oil, just used 1-2 T. It's rich, satisfying and FULL of flavor. I blackened the eggplant under the broiler, quite easy that way. I usually end up adding a lot more tahini in this type of spread but it isn't needed in this recipe. The onion, garlic, vinegar and liquid smoke add all the flavor that's needed. Thank you sooo much, Evelyn.
- 3 -4 flask eggplants (the common kind found everywhere)
- 1 small grated onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 -5 drops liquid smoke (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash eggplant, place in baking pan and bake in at 375F for about one hour, or until soft when pierced with a fork and the eggplant has sort of collapsed into itself.
- allow the skin to turn black and charred so as to give a smoky flavour to the salad (you can also grill the eggplant by putting them directly on the grate- whole- on your bbq. Grill until skin is blackened and charred and eggplant is very soft and starting to deflate. If you use the grill method- leave out the liquid smoke).
- Skin eggplant when cool enough for you to stand it and chop in small pieces. Mash it up a bit with a fork.
- Mix well with onion, garlic, tahini, oil, vinegar (start with 1 tblsp of vinegar and if you want it sharper, add more, a bit at a time), salt and pepper (to taste).
- Note: I kind of beat this around with a fork to incorporate the oil well into the eggplant spread- you don't want it looking oily at all, but creamy.