Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
These are so good. They can be a savoury meze to enjoy with wine or ouzo, or a light meal or snack.
- 1 lb eggplant (1 large)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup grated kefalograviera cheese (use Parmesan as a substitute)
- 1⁄2 cup minced parsley
- tzatziki (you can find this in my recipes)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Pierce eggplant in several places with tines of fork, place on a baking sheet and bake until soft, turning once, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly.
- Peel, remove seeds and chop pulp coarsely.
- Place in large bowl (may be prepared up to 1 day ahead) Mix flour and baking powder into eggplant.
- Add remaining ingredients, season to taste.
- Combine well.
- Heat ¼ inch light olive oil (or vegetable oil – but olive oil is tastier) in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Drop in eggplant mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls.
- Cook fritters until deep golden-brown, about 1 ½ minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Repeat using up all of eggplant.
- Serve immediately with tzatziki.
This recipe went over real well. Cut the time by microwaving the eggplant for 7-10 minutes. Cut the cholesterol by eliminating the egg and add a little water if it's too dry.
The recipe sounds good, but I just spent 15 minutes in "her recipes" trying to find the recipe for "tzatziki" and decided that it wasn't that good. But I may try it without that stuff.