Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 1 medium eggplant, trimmed, unpeeled, sliced into strips 1/8 to 3/16-inch thick
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sea salt
FOR THE BATTER
- 8 ounces of bottled soda water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Prepare eggplant: Put slices in a bowl, salt, and let sit 20-25 minutes. Pour off liquid before dipping in batter.
- Make the batter: Pour the soda into a bowl, and stir in flour and salt slowly, using a whisk or fork to mix.
- Fry: Bring oil to high heat. Coat eggplant in the batter, use a fork to place pieces in oil and fry 5-6 minutes, until golden on both sides and batter puffs up. Drain on absorbent paper toweling just long enough to remove excess oil.
- Serve hot.