Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I learned how to make this from my Mom growning up and tweaked it to my taste and use the crock pot for slow cooked tenderness. Sometimes I add a little more rue at the last hour for a really thick stew, or swap out the potatoes for yucca, and add some hot sauc for a more latin kick. it's all up to you liking.
- 2 lbs boneless beef cubes (cut into about 2 inch chunks)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 -2 cup carrot, cut into chunks
- 3 -4 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into chunks
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth, stock, 2 boullion cubes, dissolved in 4 cups water
- 2 -3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste (optional but recomended)
- hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional but recommended)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, if you are browning the meat first
FOR THICKER STEW
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Lightly salt and pepper the beef and coat with flour. You can do this in a plastic baggie for less of a mess.
- You have the option to either brown all sides of the meat cubes in some oil, or put them directly into the crock pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the crock pot. If you are using the boullion it is best to grate it into the corck pot so that it will disolve more easily.
- Cook on low for 9-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours.
- FOR A THICKER STEW:.
- 45 mins - 1 hour before stew is done, melt 2 tablespoons of butter (or 1/4 cup butter blend, such as heart smart) in a pan and add 1/4 cup flour. Wisk until thick and bubbly.
- Laddle a few spoonfuls of stew liquid into pan and blend. Pour mxture into crock pot and genlte stir. Cook until thick. Enjoy.