Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
A family favorite since the 1960s.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced olives, drained (optional)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package chili seasoning mix (Lawry's brand, if available) or 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning (Lawry's brand, if available)
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- Mix 1 heaping cup yellow corn meal and 1 cup milk in bowl, mix in to 2 cups boiling water and stir mixture until smooth. Stir in a tsp of the Lawry's chile seasoning from package.
- Brown 1 pound ground meat, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 medium chopped onion, salt and pepper to taste. Drain grease well.
- Add to ground beef mixture: can whole kernel corn, crushed tomatoes, tomato.
- paste, can olives, remainder of Lawry's chile seasoning package.
- LAYER IN LARGE CAST IRON SKILLET OR 9 X 13 BAKING DISH (GREASE SKILLET OR PAN WITH CRISCO).
- 1. Place 1/2 corn meal mixture in bottom.
- 2. Remove from oven and Sprinkle with 1/2 of grated cheese.
- 3. Spread meat mixture in middle.
- 4. Layer remaining corn meal mixture on top.
- Bake at 375 about 30 minutes, then add grated cheese and bake another 10 minutes, or until bubbly and brown.