Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is from The Silver Spoon. It's a fairly simple recipe but has worked very well every time I've tried.
- 4 -5 aubergines (Eggplants)
- 500 g chopped fresh tomatoes (seeded and de-skinned)
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil
- 50 g parmesan cheese
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 dash olive oil
- Cut Aubergines into slices.
- Salt the Aubergine slices for about an hour and then dry off.
- In the meantime, cook up the tomatoes, oil and basil with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, pass them through a sieve to strain out into a paste (I sometimes leave this bit out and have the 'bitty' tomato sauce).
- Fry the aubergine slices until they start to brown and pat them with kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Dot butter on the bottom of the oven dish
- Layer the aubergine with tomato sauce, mozzerella, parmesan and a thin covering of the egg until it is all used up.
- Put a layer of the whisked egg on the top (it just has to be a little).
- Cook in the oven at about 200C for 30mins.