Recipe by Sara 76
Use Flaky Pastry for the pie shell. This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg whites
- unbaked pie shell (Flaky Pastry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Beat egg yolks; add with butter to potato mixture. Mix well.
- Add milk and combine.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into the mixture.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 200C for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 180C and bake 25 minutes, or until firm.