1/1 Photo of Melanie's Southern Biscuits
I love this recipe. My very dear friend in Atlanta makes these when we come to visit. Her family secret is to bake these in a very hot, oiled black cast iron skillet. Have some fresh creamy butter and blackberry jam or honey close by - they may not make it to the table!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- 2Blend in the 2 Tablespoons Crisco until the mixture is coarse and grainy, using a fork or pastry blender.
- 3With a fork, stir in the buttermilk.
- 4DO NOT OVERMIX.
- 5On a floured board pour dough out and knead 4-5 times.
- 6Pat the dough out to about 1/2-inch thick.
- 7Cut with biscuit cutter or a floured dipped glass into rounds or pizza cutter for squares.
- 8It is very important not to handle the dough too much as it will get tough.
- 9Place 1 Tablespoon Crisco in heavy black cast iron skillet; place in pre-heated 500º oven for 5-6 minutes.
- 10Crisco and skillet should be very hot.
- 11Remove skillet from oven and place the biscuits in the skillet, turning each once in the oil.
- 12Bake for 10 minutes or till light brown.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melanie's Southern Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 246.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 2.3 g