I love this recipe. My very dear friend in Atlanta makes these when we come to visit. Her family secret is to bake these in a very hot, oiled black cast iron skillet. Have some fresh creamy butter and blackberry jam or honey close by - they may not make it to the table!
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Blend in the 2 Tablespoons Crisco until the mixture is coarse and grainy, using a fork or pastry blender.
- With a fork, stir in the buttermilk.
- DO NOT OVERMIX.
- On a floured board pour dough out and knead 4-5 times.
- Pat the dough out to about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut with biscuit cutter or a floured dipped glass into rounds or pizza cutter for squares.
- It is very important not to handle the dough too much as it will get tough.
- Place 1 Tablespoon Crisco in heavy black cast iron skillet; place in pre-heated 500º oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Crisco and skillet should be very hot.
- Remove skillet from oven and place the biscuits in the skillet, turning each once in the oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes or till light brown.