1 hr 5 mins
One Happy Woman's Note:
I'm not sure how authentic this is, but my name's Greek, and I've _been_ to Greece, so that should count for something. This is not too time-consuming; it's pretty good stuff. No, I take that back - it's really good stuff.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 5 garlic cloves
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 -3 large Japanese eggplants
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- garlic salt, to taste
- 1Slice the eggplant in 1/3 inch slices. Do not peel, do not salt. Just slice—you have enough to do in a day. I use the Japanese eggplant because the slices are smaller and easier to layer in the baking pan.
- 2Line a large cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- 3Lay the eggplant slices on the sheet in a single layer and spray them with non-stick spray.
- 4Sprinkle 2-3 T grated Parmesan over them, some salt and pepper, and roast at 350 until fork-tender, while you make the sauce.
- 5Chop the onion and garlic and saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms and ground beef together.
- 6Add the tomato paste and ground tomatoes, wine, rosemary, cinnamon, and lemon pepper (maybe the Greeks did invent this) and simmer until meat is cooked and flavors melded.
- 7In a large baking dish sprayed with non-stick spray (we don't like to waste a lot of time scrubbing dishes in our house) and layer a little sauce, the eggplant, sauce, etc. and end with a layer of sauce.
- 8Over this pour the following mixture: the larger amount of Parmesan, Mozarella, eggs and yogurt, plus a little garlic salt.
- 9Pour the sauce over the eggplant/meat mixture and cover pan with foil.
- 10Bake 350 for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until the moussaka is hot and bubbly. Time will vary according to how deep your baking pan is.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melanie's Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.9
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 172.8 mg
- Sodium 792.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: