Recipe by Sara 76
Use this icing to fill and frost Delicious Nut Cake( Delicious Nut Cake). This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons white corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup toasted almond, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in top of double boiler, and stir gently until well mixed.
- Place over rapidly boiling water and beat constantly with an electric mixer until the mixture forms peaks at the end of the beater (about 7 minutes).
- Then, remove from heat; add vanilla, and beat until thick enough to spread.
- Spread over cake.
- Sprinkle nuts on sides or top of cake.
- Fills and frosts 2 (9-inch) layers.