1/1 Photo of Mekitsi (Bulgaria)
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was featured on week 40 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Bulgaria is my 40th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the yeast in the warm water and let sit for five minutes or so, or until frothy.
- 2Mix the yeast and water with the egg and yogurt. Keep stirring until well-blended.
- 3Add the flour and salt and mix until you get a soft dough. Let stand one hour.
- 4Heat some oil in a pot (you'll need two inches or so). Roll the dough out and cut into circles.
- 5Drop the dough into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden and puffy.
- 6Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Mekitsi (Bulgaria)
Serving Size: 1 (430 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 49.6
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 8.7 mg
- Sodium 22.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 1.7 g