Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe was featured on week 40 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Bulgaria is my 40th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 small egg
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the yeast in the warm water and let sit for five minutes or so, or until frothy.
- Mix the yeast and water with the egg and yogurt. Keep stirring until well-blended.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until you get a soft dough. Let stand one hour.
- Heat some oil in a pot (you'll need two inches or so). Roll the dough out and cut into circles.
- Drop the dough into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden and puffy.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.