Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a Thai cooking class (taught by Meiling Dawson @ Orson Gygi) and modified it a little. It's very versatile and delicious. Sometimes I use tofu instead ofbeef or all veggies. I use whatever vegetables I have on hand... carrots, onions, peppers, broccoli, etc. Chicken can also be used or yellow curry (posted in a separate recipe... but the meats and curries are interchangeable). I serve it over cooked rice (I use 1 cup of brown rice which I boil for 20 minutes before adding 1 cup of white rice... for better health without sacrificing texture or flavor).
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (less for kid-friendly, more for "I love heat")
- 3⁄4-1 lb beef, cut into small strips (I use Top Sirloin and trim the fat, can sub tofu or use extra veggies for vegetarian)
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk (can sub regular milk and 1/2 T cornstarch for one can)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- lime zest from 4 lime (or 6 kaffir leaves, specialty asian market food)
- 2 medium potatoes (original recipe calls for 4 potatoes and no other veggies)
- 1 yellow pepper (can use red or orange or green)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- Heat oil in pan on medium heat and add curry paste. Stir fry until fragrant.
- Add beef and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, paprika, and lime zest or kaffir leaves.
- Continue to simmer beef for about 10 minutes, then add potatoes.
- Add other veggies about 5 minutes after potatoes.
- Total cooking time after adding chicken to pan is ~30 minutes.
- Serve with rice. I like to use brown rice because it is healthy. I cook the brown rice for about 20 minutes before adding white rice (I use calrose) -- it makes a great mixture that is much healthier than plain white rice.
- Notes on ingredients --
- Curry: I have found the brand Mae Ploy is sold in generous sizes and is very reasonably price (it comes in a 14 oz round cardboard carton which is refrigerated after opening and lasts a LONG time, and I paid about $2.50 in an asian market).
- Fish Sauce: I have been very happy with the asian market brand Viet Huong Three Crabs Brand (there's a white square with 3 green crabs on the center of the label).
Very easy curry to prepare. Used Patak's mild over white rice. Thanks for sharing!
This was a lovely curry Tanya. We enjoyed it very much. Made exactly as written, although I did use 4 tbsp of curry paste,and a handful of cilantro personal preference only. This was quick and easy to make with terrific results. Served over your cilantro rice for an awesome meal. Thank you for sharing your recipe which we will enjoy again and again.