1/2 Photos of Meiling's Yummy Thai Red Curry With Beef
Chef TanyaW's Note:
I got this recipe from a Thai cooking class (taught by Meiling Dawson @ Orson Gygi) and modified it a little. It's very versatile and delicious. Sometimes I use tofu instead ofbeef or all veggies. I use whatever vegetables I have on hand... carrots, onions, peppers, broccoli, etc. Chicken can also be used or yellow curry (posted in a separate recipe... but the meats and curries are interchangeable). I serve it over cooked rice (I use 1 cup of brown rice which I boil for 20 minutes before adding 1 cup of white rice... for better health without sacrificing texture or flavor).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste (less for kid-friendly, more for "I love heat")
- 3/4-1 lb beef, cut into small strips (I use Top Sirloin and trim the fat, can sub tofu or use extra veggies for vegetarian)
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk (can sub regular milk and 1/2 T cornstarch for one can)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- lime zest from 4 lime (or 6 kaffir leaves, specialty asian market food)
- 2 medium potatoes (original recipe calls for 4 potatoes and no other veggies)
- 1 yellow pepper (can use red or orange or green)
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1Heat oil in pan on medium heat and add curry paste. Stir fry until fragrant.
- 2Add beef and cook for about 2 minutes.
- 3Add coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, paprika, and lime zest or kaffir leaves.
- 4Continue to simmer beef for about 10 minutes, then add potatoes.
- 5Add other veggies about 5 minutes after potatoes.
- 6Total cooking time after adding chicken to pan is ~30 minutes.
- 7Serve with rice. I like to use brown rice because it is healthy. I cook the brown rice for about 20 minutes before adding white rice (I use calrose) -- it makes a great mixture that is much healthier than plain white rice.
- 8Notes on ingredients --
- 9Curry: I have found the brand Mae Ploy is sold in generous sizes and is very reasonably price (it comes in a 14 oz round cardboard carton which is refrigerated after opening and lasts a LONG time, and I paid about $2.50 in an asian market).
- 10Fish Sauce: I have been very happy with the asian market brand Viet Huong Three Crabs Brand (there's a white square with 3 green crabs on the center of the label).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meiling's Yummy Thai Red Curry With Beef
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.5
- Calories from Fat 443
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 28.2 g
- Cholesterol 42.1 mg
- Sodium 773.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 55.4 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste