This recipe was given to me by a dear friend. Time does not include cooling time and the number of slices will depend on the thickness of the slices. I just made this for the first time. It was moist and light with a nice crispy crust. My loaf didn't rise much but it may be because my beer was cold... I also placed a piece of tin foil under the pan incase it overflowed. I did notice a slight smell of beer when I took the loaf out of the oven, then again when I sliced it but did not notice it when I ate a slice with butter on it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl except butter (batter will be lumpy and very thick).
- Put in a greased 9X5 loaf pan.
- Spread melted butter over top of batter prior to baking for crispy top.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees or until top is golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cool for at least 20 minutes.
- NOTE: If not using self-rising flour, you will need to add 3 teaspoons baking powder plus 1 teaspoon salt.