Recipe by Meguin
This is a delicious comfort food, though it is definitely not traditional. The tonkatsu sauce is also good with fried chicken (especially chicken katsu) and fries. I also use it in my yakisoba. Hold the meat, and you have a delicious side dish. If you want to make it vegetarian, use a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. This is also good with extra-firm tofu.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or whatever oil, sesame oil is delish, too)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 -2 lb chicken breast, cut up into 2-inch pieces (or pork)
- 1⁄2 cup carrot
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded (about 1/4 of a regular-sized cabbage or 1 mini one, if you find it)
- 1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodles
- 3 tablespoons ketchup (for tonkatsu sauce)
- 3 tablespoons tamari (good soy sauce, for tonkatsu sauce)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (for tonkatsu sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (for tonkatsu sauce)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine (for tonkatsu sauce)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (or to taste, for tonkatsu sauce)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (or to taste, for tonkatsu sauce)
- scallion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Discard the "flavor packet" from the ramen. Too much salt!
- Julienne the onion, pepper, and carrots.
- Heat up the oil in a large, deep bottomed saucepan, medium heat.
- Toss in the julienned peppers and onion. Sauté until the onions are starting to turn translucent.
- Toss in the chicken, and cook until it is no longer pink in the middle.
- Immediately after you put on the chicken, put a pot of water on to boil.
- Throw in the carrots in with the pepper and onion.
- While you wait for the water to boil, make the tonkatsu sauce. Mix the ketchup, tamari, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, rice wine, ginger, and garlic together in a bowl with a fork.
- Break up the ramen into the boiling water (seriously, it makes life sooo much easier).
- Put the cabbage into the saucepan, cover.
- When the ramen's 3 minutes of cooking are up, drain it and add it to the saucepan.
- Add the tonkatsu sauce, toss to even coat everything, cook for about 2 minutes.
- If you want to get fancy, throw in some scallions. Yum!.
- Done! Be sure to not eat it all at once, you'll get sick.