Pistachio Cupcakes with Maraschino Cherry Italian Buttercream
Make and share this Meg's Watergate Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 118.29 ml shortening
- 118.29 ml white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 177.44 ml milk
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 236.59 ml cake flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 99.22 g package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml maraschino cherry juice
- 4 egg whites
- 473.18 ml butter, at room temperature
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 283.49 g maraschino cherries, patted dry and minced
- Preheat ovento 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin. Sift together the flour, baking powder,salt and instant pudding mix. Set aside.
- In a largebowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat inthe egg yolks one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared tins.
- Bake in thepreheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightlytapped. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
- For Maraschio cherry Italian Buttercream.
- Combine the maraschino cherry juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to aboil, stirring occasionally. Once it boils, stop stirring and insert a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile,whip the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixture to soft peaks. When the cherrysugar is at 238 degrees, add it to the egg whites in a slow steady stream withthe mixer on medium speed.
- Increase thespeed to high and beat until cooled to room temperature.
- Add thebutter a few tablespoons at a time, while continuing to mix on medium highspeed. Add the vanilla. Increase the speed to high and beat until smooth. Stir in minced maraschino cherries.