1/1 Photo of Meg's Watergate Cupcakes
Janice McNeil's Note:
Pistachio Cupcakes with Maraschino Cherry Italian Buttercream
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries, patted dry and minced
- 1Preheat ovento 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin. Sift together the flour, baking powder,salt and instant pudding mix. Set aside.
- 2In a largebowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat inthe egg yolks one at a time, and then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared tins.
- 3Bake in thepreheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightlytapped. Cool 15 minutes before turning out onto cooling racks.
- 4For Maraschio cherry Italian Buttercream.
- 5Combine the maraschino cherry juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to aboil, stirring occasionally. Once it boils, stop stirring and insert a candy thermometer.
- 6Meanwhile,whip the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixture to soft peaks. When the cherrysugar is at 238 degrees, add it to the egg whites in a slow steady stream withthe mixer on medium speed.
- 7Increase thespeed to high and beat until cooled to room temperature.
- 8Add thebutter a few tablespoons at a time, while continuing to mix on medium highspeed. Add the vanilla. Increase the speed to high and beat until smooth. Stir in minced maraschino cherries.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meg's Watergate Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 527.2
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.4 g
- Cholesterol 138.8 mg
- Sodium 426.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 3.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant pistachio pudding mix
maraschino cherry juice