Meg's Favorite Pasta All'amatriciana
- Put the pasta water on to boil.
- Warm up a good-sized saute pan on medium. Toss in the bacon pieces and let them sizzle. Chop up the onion while the bacon cooks. When the bacon is brown and maybe a little chewy still, add the onion and saute. When the onion is looking soft, add the garlic, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and chile flakes if you're using them. Saute for another minute or two until you can smell the spices.
- Is the water boiling for the pasta yet? Generously salt the water and pour in the box of noodles, whenever it's ready.
- Pour in the can of tomatoes and its juice, squeeze in the tomato paste, and add the sugar (just a little to balance the acid of the tomatoes). Turn the heat up until the sauce is bubbling, then set it to low until your pasta is cooked.
- When the pasta is done, toss with the sauce and the Parmigiano-Reggiano. Offer more cheese at the table.