Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I started making this lasagna for my friends and family a few years ago and now I am famous for it! It takes a while since you make the sauce from scratch, but it is definitely worth it!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1 lb shredded Italian cheese blend (mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, fontina, romano, asiago) or 1 lb shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain. Move cooked ground beef to a large electric skillet or large sauce pan.
- In same large skillet, cook onion until it is translucent. Add to the cooked ground beef.
- Add to your sauce pot the tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, water, garlic, and herbs/spices. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for an hour to an hour and a half. The longer you let the sauce simmer, the more flavorful your sauce will be.
- Meanwhile, run your kitchen faucet until the water gets very hot and fill a large bowl with the hottest water you can. Soak your lasagna noodles in the bowl of water while your sauce is simmering. This will "cook" your noddles, but keep them al dente during the baking process.
- When your sauce is about ready, combine in a large mixing bowl the ricotta, Parmesan, mozarella and egg. Mix until evenly blended.
- In a 9x12" glass baking dish, layer as follows: sauce, six noodles, half of cheese mixture, sauce, six noodles, half of cheese mixture, sauce.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. At this point, you can put the lasagna in the fridge to let it "gel" overnight, or you can finish the lasagna if you intend to eat it right away. Either way, the next step is as follows.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese top of the lasagna and bake for another 15-20 minutes until the cheese in golden and bubbly.
- Serve with a caesar salad and breadsticks. (Enjoy leftovers for breakfast the next day!).
Good flavour and well worth the effort of making the homemade sauce. Makes a wonderful lasagna that your family will love for many years to come!! Thank you so much for posting this recipe!
There is really nothing so spectacular that sets this apart from other simple to make lasagnas. Also, the only thing Italians use oregano on when making sauce is pizza sauce!