Recipe by ~*Miss Diggy*~
This dish is perfect for the poor, but loved by the rich as well.
Top Review by Ferdinando
Sounds nice but this is not authentic Lebanese. 1st. This is a lenten dish where butter has no place. 2nd. Simmering lentils with rice for 1-2 hours will end up in a mash. 3rd. Broth and onion soup mix will put the final touches to this dishe's ruin. Sorry, but this is a traditional Lebanese recipe that has suffered Chinese Whispers!
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 1⁄3 cup rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 -7 cups cold water or 6 -7 cups broth
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash lentils and rice.
- In a pan, saute onion in oil until it is a golden brown.
- Add the lentils, rice, salt, butter, onion, soup, and water.
- Bring to a boil and then turn to low heat and simmer for 1-2 hours, making sure to add more water as it absorbs.
- Lentils will be soft when ready (same consistency as refried beans).