1/1 Photo of Megadarra, Esau's Dish, or Lentils With Rice
A very tasty and nutritious vegetarian meal, even though it is not very colourful. Use any green or brown lentil that holds its shape when cooked (i.e. not the red split lentils, which cook to a mush). Please note that the "pint" I mention is a British pint of 20 fl oz. This recipe comes from David Scott's "Middle Eastern Vegetarian Cookery". Posted in the hope of joining the North African and Middle Eastern Zaar Tag game.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.16 ml butter or 59.16 ml olive oil
- 226.79 g green lentils (225g) or 226.79 g brown lentils, washed (225g)
- 591.48 ml water (725ml)
- 226.79 g rice, washed (225g)
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground allspice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 8 fluid ounce yoghurt
- 1Heat half the butter or oil (2tbsp) in a large, heavy pan, then add the lentils and stir over a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- 2Add the water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Add the rice, cumin and allspice, then return to the boil and mix well.
- 4Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils and rice are tender and all the liquid has been absorbed (probably about 15-20 minutes). Keep an eye on it - depending on the type of rice and lentils you use, you may need to add more water. When cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 5Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter or oil in a small frying pan, and fry the sliced onions until they are dark golden in colour, adding the garlic towards the end of the cooking.
- 6When ready to serve, mix about three-quarters of the fried onion into the rice and lentil mixture, then transfer the mixture into a large serving dish. Pour the yoghurt on top, and garnish with the remaining fried onion. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Megadarra, Esau's Dish, or Lentils With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.1
- Calories from Fat 131
- Total Fat 14.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 38.3 mg
- Sodium 119.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.0 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 21.2 g