Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
This is a Rachael Ray recipe. It is not a pizza covered with individual meatballs, it is a pizza where the topping tastes like a meatball.
- 1 recipe homemade pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 lb mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a round pizza stone or pan or on a rectangular baking sheet, using flour or cornmeal to dust the dough, spread out the dough to form your crust. If you are using a baking sheet, drizzle pan with extra-virgin olive oil then set crust in place. Poke the pizza dough in several areas with the tines of a fork. Drizzle the dough with extra-virgin olive oil then season it with finely chopped rosemary and a little salt. Place in oven 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, then the meat. Brown and crumble meat a couple of minutes, then add onions and garlic. Season the meat with salt and pepper then work in the tomato paste using the back of a wooden spoon to combine. Stir in the parmesan cheese, parsley and oregano.
- Remove pizza crust from oven and top with meat. Arrange mozzarella cheese over the pizza, working to edges. Return the pizza to the oven and bake until cheese is golden, another 10 to 12 minutes.
Hearty and tasty, won't leave anyone hungry. I added a bit of beef stock to the meat after adding everything else, it felt like needing some moisture.
This is a true meat lover's pizza. I used the pizza crust from my Mediterranean Pizza With Caramelized Onions Recipe #132001 and baked it on a cast iron griddle. The oil for cooking the meat was eliminated and the meat was cooked first then the onions and garlic added. This made 6 generous slices. My family really enjoyed it.
This was pretty good. My family felt that the oregano taste was too strong, so I will 1/2 that next time. A huge and meaty pizza. Thanks.