Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Meet Mirsang is a Konkani word for a chilli paste which is used for marinating/coating Fish/seafood etc for shallow frying etc. Traditionally it is made with a powder called "Bafat Powder" but this powder is usually only found in Mangalore and the surrounding areas.... and therefore most people will not be able to find it. You could make your own (see my recipe)...you wouldnt be sorry! I will post more recipes using this powder :-) We've also used it to marinate meats and such to grill. It can even be used on some veggies to be fried etc! for the ginger and garlic pastes, I simply run fresh garlic and fresh ginger over a fine microplane to get a smooth paste. You may need more or less vinegar to make a smooth paste. It should NOT be powdery at all... but a smooth paste. Be sure not to make it runny either. This will store beautifully for a long period of time in a jar or airtight container in the refrigerator. The more you want to store, the more you make. This makes enough for several uses.
- First combine all dry ingredients.
- Add the pastes and stir a bit.
- THen add vinegar a tablespoon at a time until a smooth but thick paste forms (see photo to get an idea).
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator and it will last for a long time.
- You can marinate fish in this (use a small amount and rub into the fish, marinate a few hrs in the fridge and cook as desired).
- I will post various recipes using this lovely paste.