1/2 Photos of Meen Moilee: Fish in Fragrant Coconut Milk
Recipe courtesy M. A. Rasheed. Found on Food Network, posting for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs white-fleshed fish, like monkfish, halibut or 4 lbs cod, filleted and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 lime, juiced
For the sauce
- peanut oil, for frying
- 2 green chilies, seeded
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 -6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed (do not chop, crushing gives the curry better flavor)
- 1/2 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 -3 fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk, solids separated from the liquid
- 1 tomato, quartered, plus 1 tomato sliced thinly, for garnish
- cooked rice, as an accompaniment
- 1Rinse the diced fish chunks in water. Drain off the excess water and place the fish in a bowl. Add turmeric powder and a large pinch of salt. Add lime juice and mix. Cover and refrigerate for 25 minutes.
- 2Heat the oil in a deep saucepan over a medium gas flame until seriously hot, but not burning.
- 3Add the chiles, ginger, garlic, onion, and curry leaves to the oil. The curry leaves must be added in at the beginning, so the flavors can infuse with the other ingredients. Stir lightly until onions are transparent. Add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder, and stir. Add enough liquid coconut milk to cover the ingredients in the pan. Do not add the thick coconut milk yet, as it will curdle. Add the fish and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes until cooked.
- 4Add the quartered tomato and the thick coconut milk. Garnish with sliced tomatoes and serve with boiled or steamed white rice.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meen Moilee: Fish in Fragrant Coconut Milk
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 403.4
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 42.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 56.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: