1/2 Photos of Medu Vada
Aparna Anurag's Note:
Medu Vadas are South Indian dish .This is made with urad dal batter . They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are served with Sambar and Coconut Chutney.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and soak dal in about 3 cups of water for about 4-6 hours.
- 2Drain the water and grind dal to smooth paste. Take dal batter out in a wide bowl.
- 3Add all the ingredients to the dal batter, cilantro, green chili, coriander,hing,onion salt, 1 tbsp oil beat ,the batter for 2-3 minutes this will make the batter light and fluffy.
- 4Keeping the right consistency of batter is very important. When you put the batter on your palm batter should hold its shape. Make the Vadas batter when you are ready to fry them.
- 5Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- 6The frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in oil. The batter should sizzle and come up but not change color right away. If oil is very hot Vadas will not cook through and will not be crispy.
- 7Wet the palms and take golf size batter and place over your palm, flatten to round shape and make hole in the center with other hand wet fingers slowly slide Vada into the hot oil.
- 8Fry the Vadas from both sides to golden brown. Take them out over paper towel to drain access oil.
- 9Serve Medu Vada served with coconut chutney or Tomato ketchup.
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Medu Vada
Serving Size: 1 (79 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.4
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 585.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 12.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: