Traditional Russian cookies with excellent flavor. This is a stiff, dry cookie seasoned with ginger. They're great for dipping in coffee or hot tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dark buckwheat honey (buckwheat is best in these cookies, but any dark honey will do or 1 cup honey mixed with 1 cup molas)
- 1 cup rye meal, sifted
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 2 drops anise flavoring (optional)
- 1Heat the honey in a pan until it thins and comes to a boil; keep it very hot.
- 2Sift together rye meal and flour and heat in skillet over low heat, stirring constantly, so it doesn't brown.
- 3Add the baking powder, cloves, and ginger to the flour; mix quickly.
- 4Add part of the flour mixture to the honey (remember it must be very hot) and stir.
- 5Quickly add the whiskey, anise flavoring, and remaining flour.
- 6Beat the mixture as hard as you can with a wooden spoon until the mixture easily comes off the spoon.
- 7Shape the dough into a long roll, then flatten the roll slightly.
- 8Cut off slices about 1/2-inch thick.
- 9Place slices on a lightly greased and floured cookie sheet.
- 10Bake at 325°F until light brown (30 minutes).
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Medoviya Prianiki (Russian Honey Rye Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (144 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 16.6
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: