This recipe offers a sligthly modern (maybe even exotic) twist on your traditional oven-baked (root) veggies. Fresh lime juice paired with cinnamon sugar and feta cheese accentuate the veggie's deliciousness perfectly to make a very yummy dish! Feel free to use other vegetables if there are any you can't get or dislike.
- Wash, clean and cut veggies into long finger-thin pieces (like french-fries). Make sure to separate kohlrabi and carrots from the other veggies as they need to bake longer.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Mix lime/lemon juice, oil, cinnamon,salt and sugar.
- Spread carrots and kohlrabi pieces on a baking sheet. Pour some of the marinade on top and make sure to coat well. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Add rest of the veggies and coat with remaining marinade.
- Bake for 10 more minutes and then crumble the feta cheese over the veggies.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread or enjoy as is. :).
Oh yummmm! The cinnamon makes this side-dish dessert like - went great with chicken on the grill tonight. Instead of kohlrabi, I used a turnip like another reviewed suggested - which was my favorite. I nixed the feta as well. Like Andi, I put mine under the broiler to brown a bit - they weren't browning but were definitely done around 25-30 minutes. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow!
Perfect! Loved this using up root vegetables, potato, celery, carrot, butternut squash, zucchini, and mushrooms. I was running out of time today, so I mixed up the lime juice mixture, cut the veggies, and mixed it all together. I put it in the microwave for 5 minutes, stirred, and did 5 mins more. Stirred. For the rest of the time, I added the feta, and put in the oven 15 minutes (had potatoes) turning over veggies once. Perfect! I then browned under the broiler for 2 minutes, and everything was so tasty! We loved this! Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* April 2010
My vegetables of choice were: carrots, zucchini, red/yellow/green peppers, turnip and some leftover butternut squash. We liked the hint of cinnamon on this dish. I felt it could have used a tad more salt and the baking time was a little longer then suggested. As i was dishing out the veg, I, in my horror to late realised I had forgotten to add the feta. I'm sure it would have added much more to the flavor of this dish. I certainly won't forget next time. Made for TYM tag. :)