Recipe by sudene1
This recipe can be used for meat, chicken and fish which makes it very versatile. It can be made ahead and frozen allowing for a quick preparation of a meal. It is also good added to rice or noodles.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes (optional)
- 15 black olives, coarsely chopped (without stones)
- 3⁄4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped finely or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Heat olive oil in saucepan on medium heat. Add anchovy paste, cooking and stirring until liquefied and combined with the olive oil. Add garlic and onions, cook until translucent. Add chili flakes, capers and olives, cook for about two minutes. Stir in tomatoes and herbs and bring sauce to a simmer. Allow sauce to cook uncovered at a low simmer for twenty minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Braise browned chicken thighs, pork chops, or cook fish in sauce. Garnish with fresh basil and parsley.