Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This spread or dip is a bit different than others I've tried. The flavor reminds me of herbed olive oil that you dip bread into. Fresh herbs are a must, but any white bean can be used in place of the cannellini beans. I used purple basil, which gave the spread a nice color. It is good any way you'd normally use hummus or most any dip, but I think it is especially good on crostini or crackers, or as a sandwich spread. This is adapted from a recipe from Kraft.
- 1 (15 ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained (cannellini)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh,snipped into medium size pieces
- 1 tablespoon thyme, fresh
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place beans, garlic, lime juice, and olive oil in food processor or mini-chopper; process until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until well mixed and the herbs are chopped as coarsely or finely as you like (I like them almost liquified).
- Refrigerate for at least a few hours so the flavors blend (overnight is even better).