1/3 Photos of Mediterranean White Bean Soup
- Carla -'s Note:
This thick and garlicky soup is a Mediterranean classic normally made from dried beans slowly cooked with potatoes, onions, and garlic. This version takes advantage of cooked beans and a food processor to produce a quick and hearty dinner soup. Serve with plenty of good crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced small
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans or 2 (14 ounce) cans canned cannellini, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1Bring 2 cups of the broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
- 2Add potatoes and carrots, cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- 3While potatoes cook, place oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 4Add onions, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- 6Add 1 cup of broth and bring to a boil.
- 7Add the cooked potatoes, carrots, and their liquid; stir in thyme and rosemary.
- 8In a food processor or blender, purée the beans with the final cup of broth.
- 9Add to the soup and bring to a boil.
- 10Season to taste with salt and pepper and adjust thickness with additional broth, if necessary; stir in the lemon juice.
- 11Serve with croutons or toasted bread as garnish.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean White Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 342.3
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 28.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: