Recipe by Malriah
Vegetable Lasagana with a Mediterranean flair to it. Inspired by Barb Gertz's Veggie Lasagna with Bechemel. (check it out, it is AWESOME)
Top Review by ellie_
I thought this dish was a lot of work for the end result, but I also think it is one of those dishes that taste better the second day. Although this didn't work out as well as I expected for my family I think it would be a perfect vegetarian dish to bring to a potluck.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black olives, halved
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 10 green onions, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 large roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons fresh diced garlic
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 10 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and diced
- 3 tablespoons fresh sweet basil, chopped
- 15 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- 8 ounces asiago cheese, shredded (or feta if you would prefer)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 5 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion, green onion, garlic and celery.
- Saute until onion is translucent and celery starts to soften.
- Add other veggies, one by one, stirring before adding the next.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring once.
- Uncover and cook til vegetables are tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes longer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour.
- Whisk 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in milk.
- Cook until mixture comes to a boil, whisking often.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1 cup of sauce over bottom of your lasagna pan.
- Arrange 5 lasagna noodles atop sauce, overlapping slightly.
- Spoon half of vegetables over noodles.
- Spoon 1 1/2 cups sauce over veggies.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of your cheese over sauce.
- Repeat each layer once.
- Top with the last 5 lasagna noodles.
- Spoon remaining sauce over noodles.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- This is where you would refrigerate for later use, just cover tightly.
- Bake Lasagna uncovered on center rack until sauce is bubbling, about 40 minutes, 55 minutes if previously chilled.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.