Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Very filling and satisfying, with a slightly exotic taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 20 sprigs cilantro
- 20 sprigs Italian parsley
- 8 Spanish saffron threads, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup wheat berries
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten (optional)
- 2 lemons, juice of (optional)
- cilantro leaf
- lemon wedge
- crusty bread
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Fry onions, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend tomatoes, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cilantro, parsley and saffron in blender.
- Add to onions, cover and bring to rolling boil over high heat.
- Lower heat to medium, add wheat berries and broth and cover tightly.
- Cook until wheat berries are fairly tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Add lentils and garbanzo beans with liquid.
- Cover and cook until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Ten minutes before serving, lower heat to simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, beat egg with lemon juice in small bowl and add to soup, stirring with long wooden spoon until mixture forms strands.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls.
- Top with cilantro and serve immediately with lemon wedges and crusty bread.
A very delicious and satisfying soup! We all agreed, though, that the "juice of two lemons" was too much. Next time I'll use about half that. We liked the egg, though. The unusual mix of herbs and spices blended very well to make this soup stand out in the crowd. We're trying to cut down on meat and get more beans into our diets so are glad to find this good vegetarian meal. Thanks, Mirj, for a great recipe!
This was delicious and filling. It made a wonderful healthy, hearty meal with some crusty bread and a side salad. I did not change a thing. I will definitely make this one again!