Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great way to catch up on your vegetable intake. Use whatever vegetables are in season.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 courgette, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup water
- 800 g italian tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in saucepan.
- Add garlic, thyme, and all the veges. Saute until onion is soft.
- Add water and tomatoes (crushed) and bring to boil.
- Simmer until veges are tender.
- Add beans, sugar, parsley. Bring back to boil.
- Taste and season.
Any recipe using a cuisine from the Mediterranean region is likely to be a winner with me, this is no different. I had no celery, but plenty of rainbow peppers; and used a jar of spaghetti sauce with meat and no salt added pinto beans, so no draining needed. I used the liquid from the beans as some of the water called for. People would eat more vegetables if they tasted as good as this recipe.