Recipe by Silver Raven
while going through my grandmother's house when she died, I came across a box of recipes in the attic. This is one of the ones that caught my attention.
Top Review by Artemis Platts
This was excellent. I microwaved the eggplant, like Andrea-Oz did, and used much less oil overall. Since I had fresh basil on hand, I used that instead of dried. And I had grape tomatoes, so I threw those in. I also used about 2/3 of the amount of cheese, to keep the fat and calories down. Finally, I used the Greek Baking Powder Pie Crust, Recipe #146530 , to keep it healthy. Awesome. Will make again. Thank you for posting.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 lb tomatoes, cored seeded,sliced in 8 ths
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package pie crust mix
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant slices between several thickness of paper toweling; sprinkle with 1 teaspoons salt.
- Weigh down with something flat and heavy; let stand 30 minutes.
- Cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Heat 1/4 Cup oil in a large skillet.
- Add eggplant all at once.
- Quickly toss to coat.
- Cook, stirring constantly until tender (about 5 minutes); remove to large bowl.
- Pour remaining oil into skillet, add onion, green pepper, zucchini, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Set aside.
- Combine oregano, basil, remaining salt, and pepper in measuring cup.
- Set aside.
- Prepare crust according to directions for a 2 crust pie.
- Divide dough into 2 balls, 1 slightly larger than the other.
- roll out larger into 12 inch circle; fit into 10 inch pie plate.
- Trim overhang to 1/2 inch.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- Spoon half eggplant into pie plate; then half vegetables; sprinkle with half of herbs mixture, 1 tablespoons parmesan and half mozzarella.
- Repeat, reserving 1 tablespoons parmesan.
- Roll out remaining pastry; cut into 1/2 inch strips; arrange lattice fashion over pie; trim to within 1/2 inch of plate; turn edges under; flute.
- Brush lattice strips with water; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F.
- for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and pie just begins to bubble.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.