1 hr 15 mins
Silver Raven's Note:
while going through my grandmother's house when she died, I came across a box of recipes in the attic. This is one of the ones that caught my attention.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1/2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 lb tomato, cored seeded,sliced in 8 ths
- 3/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package pie crust mix
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Place eggplant slices between several thickness of paper toweling; sprinkle with 1 teaspoons salt.
- 2Weigh down with something flat and heavy; let stand 30 minutes.
- 3Cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- 4Heat 1/4 Cup oil in a large skillet.
- 5Add eggplant all at once.
- 6Quickly toss to coat.
- 7Cook, stirring constantly until tender (about 5 minutes); remove to large bowl.
- 8Pour remaining oil into skillet, add onion, green pepper, zucchini, and garlic.
- 9Cook, stirring constantly, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- 10Set aside.
- 11Combine oregano, basil, remaining salt, and pepper in measuring cup.
- 12Set aside.
- 13Prepare crust according to directions for a 2 crust pie.
- 14Divide dough into 2 balls, 1 slightly larger than the other.
- 15roll out larger into 12 inch circle; fit into 10 inch pie plate.
- 16Trim overhang to 1/2 inch.
- 17Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- 18Spoon half eggplant into pie plate; then half vegetables; sprinkle with half of herbs mixture, 1 tablespoons parmesan and half mozzarella.
- 19Repeat, reserving 1 tablespoons parmesan.
- 20Roll out remaining pastry; cut into 1/2 inch strips; arrange lattice fashion over pie; trim to within 1/2 inch of plate; turn edges under; flute.
- 21Brush lattice strips with water; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- 22Bake at 425 degrees F.
- 23for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and pie just begins to bubble.
- 24Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Vegetable Pie
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.2
- Calories from Fat 479
- Total Fat 53.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 36.8 mg
- Sodium 1309.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 16.9 g