Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
while going through my grandmother's house when she died, I came across a box of recipes in the attic. This is one of the ones that caught my attention.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled 1/4 inch slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 lb tomatoes, cored seeded,sliced in 8 ths
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package pie crust mix
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place eggplant slices between several thickness of paper toweling; sprinkle with 1 teaspoons salt.
- Weigh down with something flat and heavy; let stand 30 minutes.
- Cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Heat 1/4 Cup oil in a large skillet.
- Add eggplant all at once.
- Quickly toss to coat.
- Cook, stirring constantly until tender (about 5 minutes); remove to large bowl.
- Pour remaining oil into skillet, add onion, green pepper, zucchini, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Set aside.
- Combine oregano, basil, remaining salt, and pepper in measuring cup.
- Set aside.
- Prepare crust according to directions for a 2 crust pie.
- Divide dough into 2 balls, 1 slightly larger than the other.
- roll out larger into 12 inch circle; fit into 10 inch pie plate.
- Trim overhang to 1/2 inch.
- Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of Parmesan.
- Spoon half eggplant into pie plate; then half vegetables; sprinkle with half of herbs mixture, 1 tablespoons parmesan and half mozzarella.
- Repeat, reserving 1 tablespoons parmesan.
- Roll out remaining pastry; cut into 1/2 inch strips; arrange lattice fashion over pie; trim to within 1/2 inch of plate; turn edges under; flute.
- Brush lattice strips with water; sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake at 425 degrees F.
- for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and pie just begins to bubble.
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
This was excellent. I microwaved the eggplant, like Andrea-Oz did, and used much less oil overall. Since I had fresh basil on hand, I used that instead of dried. And I had grape tomatoes, so I threw those in. I also used about 2/3 of the amount of cheese, to keep the fat and calories down. Finally, I used the Greek Baking Powder Pie Crust, Recipe #146530 , to keep it healthy. Awesome. Will make again. Thank you for posting.
I've made this twice now. Got it just right the second time. The recipe doesn't specify where to add the tomatoes, so I put them in with the zucchini and other vegies for frying. I found 1 medium to large eggplant and 1 zucchini is about right. The eggplant I diced and sprayed with oil and then microwaved for 4-5 minutes. The vegies I just fried with a bit more spray. The first time I made it I didn't remove enough of the tomato fluid and it came out a bit soggy. The second time I used phyllo pastry and made individual large serve pies. Rave reviews. Thanks so much for the recipe - this is definitely a keeper!.