Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This rich vegetable sauce is sure to become a favourite whether it's mixed through pasta, spooned over baked potatoes, served with grilled chicken or fish, or spread over a pizza base. This sauce can be frozen. After adding the Napoletana Sauce and parsley, cool then freeze in a container and keep for up to 1 month. Defrost thoroughly, then reheat until piping hot before adding to cooked pasta or any of the suggestions above.
- 1 large eggplant, washed
- 1 large onion
- 1 red pepper, washed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 14 ounces pasta sauce, Napoletana, store bought
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb pasta
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Trim and discard the top and bottom of the eggplant and cut the remainder into small cubes.
- Peel the onion and chop finely. Cut the red pepper in half, deseed and slice into small pieces.
- Place the prepared vegetables in a medium-sized roasting tin with the garlic. Stir in the olive oil, paprika and 4 tbsp cold water. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to stop the vegetables from sticking.
- When the vegetables are soft and golden, stir in the Napoletana Sauce and parsley, and season well. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes to heat through. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions. Drain the pasta, then stir into the sauce. Serve with a crisp green salad.