Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the Perricone Promise diet book.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1 1⁄2 lbs diced cooked turkey breast
- grated parmesan cheese or romano cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic, basil, fennel seeds, and crushed red pepper. Saute for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the broth and tomatoes. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and turkey and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Garnish each soup bowl with 1 tablespoon of cheese, adding salt and pepper to taste.
This is one of my all time favorites. It is so delicious! I have doubled the beans and omitted the turkey. I have used ground turkey fried ahead of time. It is a perfect soup. The portions are large. I make it and eat for lunch and supper!!